Maintaining and protecting the safety and health of BNL employees, the public, and the environment is our mission. Our electrical safety professionals and technical staff provide expertise in support of the overall BNL mission by assisting in the implementation of the Brookhaven National Lab (BNL) Standards-Based Management System (SBMS) Subject Area.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Under the guidance of the Electrical Safety SME and the Hazardous Energy Control Specialist will:
- Act as primary field contact for assigned organizations at BNL in all matters related to electrical safety;
- Conduct Equipment Inspections when requested;
- Provide coaching and mentoring to staff for electrical safety implementation;
- Conduct work observations, obtain feedback from working groups, and support the SME in making the required modifications to BNL’s Electrical Safety Program;
- Communicate results of Electrical Safety implementation analysis to operating departments through field visits, email, and newsletters;
- When requested, aid in the writing of electrical safety procedures;
- When requested, review department procedures for electrical safety and compliance;
- Work with the line organizations to find safe and compliant solutions that meet operational needs;
- Promote compliant Electrical Safety Subject Area implementation across BNL
- Review electrical designs;
- Participate in facility readiness reviews.
Required Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Requires a high school diploma or equivalent plus:
– a BS degree in a technical field and 6 years work experience or;
– a technical institute, Adult BOCES certification, AA degree in a technical field, CCI program completion at BNL plus 10 years experience or;
– a technical high school certification program (eg. BOCES) and 11 years relevant work experience or;
– 12 years relevant work experience.
- Relevant work experience should include all safety aspects of electrical work from design through operation of electrical equipment.
- Experience with demonstrated practical knowledge in the design and/or installation of electrical distribution or scientific electrical components and systems;
- Knowledge of external standards related to electrical safety such as NFPA 70 & 70E and OSHA;
- Knowledge of practices and procedures to safeguard employees when performing work on electrical equipment to include electrical Lockout/Tagout (LOTO);
- Ability to develop immediate and long-term programmatic and field-based solutions to assist staff when preparing for work on electrical equipment and systems;
- Ability to read schematics and electrical distribution (one-line) diagrams;
- Demonstrated proficiency in Microsoft Office;
- Possession of a valid driver’s license and satisfactory driving record;
- Willingness to obtain and maintain electrical safety certifications such as Certified Utility Safety Professional, Certified Safety Professional, or Professional Engineer;
- Must demonstrate the ability to present ideas and concepts orally and in writing in a clear and concise manner to communicate technical information and interact with individuals with diverse backgrounds and levels of understanding including senior management, engineers, scientists, and trade workers;
- Must be a positive driver for change regarding BNL’s commitment to safety and compliance;
- Interpersonal skills as demonstrated by performance as a positive driver for change regarding commitment to safety and compliance;
- Willingness and aptitude to learn from our current Safety staff and to be a team player;
- Solid safety-based reasoning skills;
- Strong interpersonal and time management skills.