Safety and Health Program Professional – Brookhaven National Laboratory
Brookhaven National Laboratory (www.bnl.gov) delivers discovery science and transformative technology to power and secure the nation’s future. Brookhaven Lab is a multidisciplinary laboratory with seven Nobel Prize-winning discoveries, 37 R&D 100 Awards, and more than 70 years of pioneering research. The Lab is primarily supported by the U.S. Department;of Energy’s (DOE) Office of Science. Brookhaven Science Associates (BSA) operates and manages the Laboratory for DOE. BSA is a partnership between Battelle and The Research Foundation for the State University of New York on behalf of Stony Brook University.
Maintaining and protecting the safety and health of BNL employees, the public, and the environment is our mission. Our professionals and technical staff provide expertise in support of the overall BNL mission by use of both field-deployed Environment, Safety and Health (ESH) personnel, and an Industrial Hygiene Lab, which provides monitoring equipment, sample preparation, and respirator fit testing.
We are looking for an experienced, dedicated Safety and Health Professional to ensure our employees’ occupational health. The Safety and Health Professional will assist leadership in resolving health issues by identifying risks, and by developing and implementing policies and programs to mitigate these risks. This individual will maintain the programmatic safety and health documents for the site and develop implementing procedures. The Safety and Health Professional will conduct training and deliver presentations to ensure employee awareness of occupational health developments, lead chemical and biological monitoring programs, implement corrective actions, and halt operations where necessary.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Developing and maintaining chemical and biological exposure monitoring program documents.
- Proposing and leading the implementation of programs to protect employee health and implementing ergonomics.
- Conducting regular audits of programs.
- Maintaining current knowledge of occupational health and safety regulation including TLV and PEL standards
- Review the monitoring of data from both laboratory analysis and field measurements, including review of IH monitoring reports.
- Supporting and participating in the on-call IH Emergency Response Team for the Laboratory Emergency Response Organization.
- Promoting the use of and demonstrating support of Laboratory operations in chemical and physical hazard assessment and safety.
Required Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Bachelor’s degree in chemistry or related health and safety field.
- Certified Industrial Hygienist (CIH).
- Minimum of 10 years progressively responsible related work experience which demonstrates advanced capabilities and use of sophisticated engineering approaches.
- Knowledge and experience in OSHA/ACGIH regulations with IH impacts and industrial safety.
- Knowledge of ACGIH controls and recommendations.
- Knowledge of Personal Protective Equipment (including respiratory protection) assignment and use.
- Knowledge and experience in Integrated Safety Management.
- Excellent communication skills, both verbal and written.
- Proficient computer skills including MS Word, Excel, PowerPoint.
- Outstanding people skills.
- Proficient organizational skills.
- Ability to multitask and prioritize tasks.
Preferred Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Advanced level degree (Masters, Ph.D.) in a related field.
- Certification such as CSP, ASC, Risk Management.
- Prior experience working at a DOE facility.
- Working knowledge of 10 CFR 851.
- Knowledge of computer programs for managing risk.
Environmental, Health, and Safety Considerations:
- Ability to climb ladders.
- Ability to lift 30 lbs.
- Ability to qualify to wear a respirator and other Personal Protective Equipment.
- Ability to use keyboards and computer screens.
At Brookhaven National Laboratory we believe that a comprehensive employee benefits program is an important and meaningful part of the compensation employees receive. Our benefits program includes, but is not limited to:
- Medical Plans
- Dental Plans
- Life Insurance
- 401(k) Plan
- Retirement Plan
- Paid Parental Leave
- Swimming Pool, Weight Room, Tennis Courts, and many other employee perks and benefits
We invite you to consider Brookhaven National Laboratory for employment. To be considered for this position, please apply online at BNL Careers and enter the job title into the Keyword Search.Brookhaven National Laboratory (BNL) is an equal opportunity employer that values inclusion and diversity at our Lab.We are committed to ensuring that all qualified applicants receive consideration for employment and will not be discriminated against on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, status as a veteran, disability or any other federal, state or local protected class.BNL takes affirmative action in support of its policy and to advance in employment individuals who are minorities, women, protected veterans, and individuals with disabilities.We ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment.Please contact us to request accommodation.*VEVRAA Federal Contractor
Brookhaven employees are subject to restrictions related to participation in Foreign Government Talent Recruitment Programs, as defined and detailed in United States Department of Energy Order 486.1. You will be asked to disclose any such participation at the time of hire for review by Brookhaven. The full text of the Order may be found at: https://www.directives.doe.gov/directives-documents/400-series/0486-1-border/@@images/file
Link to apply: