Call for Speakers
The ASSP Region VIII Long Island Area Chapter would like to invite presenters to submit proposals for the Long Island Professional Development Conference (PDC). Our speakers give attendees the opportunity to develop professional skills and knowledge, to tackle and provide solutions to new and current challenges in the fields of EHS, and to promote the growth of new entrants in the field. The PDC offers a wide range of practical and technical programs, including management techniques and soft skills.
Presentations are typically 60 minutes long, including the Q&A session.
If you are interested in being a speaker for the PDC or a technical meeting, please complete this form.
Hello All! It is that time of the year again we are planning our summer social at Flynn’s!
This will feature an evening boat cruise on “The Moonchaser” from Captree over to Flynn’s on Fire Island for a Lobster/Prime Rib Buffet.
The cost of the meeting is $10 for members and $20 for guests, which will include dinner and the boat ride over.
Depart from Captree State Park (To Flynn’s): 7pm. (Please arrive at 6:45)
Arrival at Flynn’s Fire Island: 8pm
Depart Flynn’s Fire Island (Back to Captree): 10:30pm
We look forward to seeing you there!
Please reply to this survey by 7/14 so we can see what date works best for our members.
Monona Rossol will be conducting a forum on Wednesday, May 24th, 10 am – 1 pm, titled Asbestos Ambushes
This webinar will discuss:
· The basics of asbestos and all particles that can cause mesothelioma.
· The six asbestos minerals, where they are found, and the OSHA rules that apply.
· Why there currently is no certified lab method that can be certain to identify all types and sizes of particles of asbestos at low levels.
· Why sellers of cosmetic and industrial talc have data they believe shows their products safe while asbestos experts show conflicting data.
· Examine FDA’s road map for developing the kind of test actually needed.
· Sources of asbestos, some of which you probably have never heard about.
· The human tragedy of asbestos exposure, examining some mesothelioma cases and the effects it has had on exposed victims and their families.
At the end of this forum, we hope you have a better understanding of asbestos and not be a victim of its silent ambush.
For over 35 years, Monona Rossol has worked as a consultant to architects planning ventilation and safety features for art and performing arts buildings. For the last two years she has been consulting with various film and theater unions (SAG-AFTRA, IATSE, AFM) to help them get proper ventilation for reducing transmission of the SARS-CoV-2 virus in buildings ranging from large arenas and theaters to small studios and workshops and even smaller sound booths and broadcast studios.
Please register by May 22nd via the Zoom link: https://tinyurl.com/asbestosambush OR
After you register, you will be provided a link to participate via Zoom or by phone.
Participants will be sent a pdf of the slides for references to sources and studies cited in the presentation.